Facilities and Cowherd
The Western Beef Development Centre (WBDC) has a 340 female, purebred Black Angus cow herd thanks to joint funding from Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada and the Saskatchewan Ministry of Agriculture. Two- and three-year-old cows were purchased from purebred herds across Manitoba, Saskatchewan and Alberta over a period of three years.
Originally donated to the University of Saskatchewan (U of S) in the 1970's by the Termuende family, the ranch is now leased from the U of S by PAMI. The ranch consists of 12 quarters of land. The ranchland is seeded to perennial forages, crops, and pasture, all of wihich are available for research purposes. There are modern handling facilities including crowding alleys, a low stress squeeze, a palpation cage, and weigh scales. Pen capacity is -up to 1500 head at one time. The ranch is staffed by a Ranch Manager, and an Assistant Ranch Manager who are supported by skilled research and technical staff.
The WBDC leases the 960-acre Pathlow pasture from the Saskatchewan Ministry of Agriculture. This pasture is located southwest of Melfort and provides additional summer grazing and research capabilities.